Distributed Autonomous Katamari
(literal translation Katamari Damacy meaning “Clump Spirit”)
The Decentralized Autonomous Katamari is a relational sculpture and digital poem existing as an object across virtual and physical space.
The piece exists as digital art, videos and procedural smart contract, thus it is a structured relationship as well as a set of texts that are encoded into the blockchain.
A Katamari is an object that flattens the earth, endlessly accumulating until it becomes large enough to patch a hole in heaven. The concept originated as a video game in 2004.
The first edition Katamari is extended through a smart contract and diagrams. The contract forms the core of the sculpture, with two stages of the sculpture mapped out in diagrams. The diagrams detail the core functionality of the sculpture and posit a hyper-speculative parody scenario as a result of the sculpture’s generative procedure.
The initial exhibition of the work is presented as an ICO, or initial coin offering for Katamari Coin (KTMI). In this context, programmable currency, or tokens are issued as a type of share in the artwork.
- Tokens are encoded to require circulation or they are nullified.
- Token collectors must either trade among themselves, or speculate on their shares on the open market.
- Once a token has been traded at a higher value, that value is now assigned to that token indefinitely, hence the endless accumulation of value.
- If a collector trades with another collector, the value of the share could remain stable.
- If a collector does not trade, the token is deleted